Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Sept 19, 2011

The Sun is out - - - NOW! And I have a sore toe which has nothing to do with this story!

I thought "I don't believe this". No, I thought "What else could go wrong?" Well, whatever I thought, it is better now!

My story for this morning is this:
For the first time since they have been here, they did not give me a 7 am BARK! Mary Ellen always calls me when she gets up, somewhere between 7:30 am and 8:00 am. In fact, she calls me about 5 times a day just to remind me that it is time for meals and "arise and shine" and "nigh-night beddy-bye baby-dogs". It was 7:35 am!

No problem, they were ready and when I opened the outside door - - -
IT WAS RAINING - HARD!

To get them out, I had to get an umbrella and go out with them. Bubba (Bailey) was still reluctant and I had to be cagey to get him to participate in this rendition of "Peeing in the Rain". Funny thing was, there I am standing under an umbrella - my big back end poking out enough to draw a goodly amount of drops thereby leaving me with a damp posterior - and when I looked up, they were both standing inside the garage door looking out at me, sheltered from the rain - their scrawny back ends all dry and comfy!

At one point, Bella went into her barking and aggressive mode charging at the fence that separates their area from my girls back yard area. I kept saying "Bella, there is nothing there, my girls are inside". As I finished the sentence, I looked up and saw Erin on the outside stair landing taunting her foster sister into a frenzy. "Erin, you little vixen, you like this don't you!" BTW, Ron, your new fence reinforcement is working very well! I had forgotten to close my girls in before I came down.

I did my 1st yard scouting for steaming piles of poop and found one - a real beauty worthy of framing - sorry, we are still excited by bodily functions! As is our practice, I took my worthy find outside the fence to "gift" it to the "land beyond my own" and saw Bella trotting along the outside of the fence toward the overgrown back lot. This is the first time she had been loose outside the fence and I was filled with dread of what it might take to retrieve her into the safety of the small back yard enclosure. "Bella COME" - - - and she did! That was that!

It wasn't a gentle rain either. When we finally did go in the garage I "heard" a dog crying and scratching on the outside of the car-lift garage door. As I walked that way, I "heard" a rodent walking behind the washer and dryer. "Wait a minute" I thought. This is not an Edgar Allen Poe moment. Slowly I walked and "listened" carefully. It was my shoes, soaked and slogging squeaky noises that only sounded like dogs and rodents hiding in the receding areas of the big-scary garage! Really, the sounds were so real - - - at first!

Bella and Bubba - already in the breakfast room - dripping away so that in a few steps they could slip and slide! I laid thin blankets and beach towels across the floor to help absorb some of the water. This will be a day of washing - floors and towels - my 3rd job after sweeping dog hair and picking up fallen Spanish moss! Good thing I'm retired!

Finally, a 30 second Breakfast - they inhale their meals - and the day has begun. Mary Ellen and Ron spread 6 bales of pine straw in their enclosure making the dirt and sand minimal. I knew it all along - the angels are not depressed - this will be another good day!

The Sun is out - - - NOW!

No comments: